Getting married in South Australia (SA)
From the backdrop of rustic, rolling vines in world-renowned wine regions, idyllic coastal locations, and easy, urban delights – when it comes to South Australia – there is so much to love.
We’re all over you, Adelaide and beyond.
South Australia is bursting with culture – great food and wine in abundance, picture-perfect beaches and a go-slow attitude in the very best sense. Being married in this Southern coastal gem of our great country is a winning idea.
SOUTH AUSTRALIAN VENUES TO SUIT ANY WEDDING THEME
At the heart of South Australia is the bustling urban central, Adelaide, where arts and entertainment reign supreme and the gateway to wine, coast or country lay just a stone’s throw away.
Adelaide wedding venues are made up of glorious boutique hotels, wine bars, formal reception spaces and cool, creative restaurants – something to suit every style.
Just a short drive from the city centre and you’ll find yourself among the glorious Adelaide Hills, which, like it’s other SA wine region counterparts in the Barossa and Clare Valley, boasts amazing views, landscape and winery settings to delight.
For a more seaside soiree, you can turn to the Eyre Peninsula – where luxury accommodation and adventure abounds, or the fabulous Fleurieu Peninsula, just forty minutes south of Adelaide itself. The Fleurieu Peninsula is home to McLaren Vale (more wine, yes please), along with rugged, coastal scenery and true natural charm.
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN LOOKING AT SOUTH AUSTRALIA WEDDING VENUES
The South Australia climate varies depending on region, through typically you can expect fairly mild winters and warm, dry summer months.
It pays to be prepared in terms of rainfall and exercising a Plan B where required, and particularly if you’re opting for a winter wedding venue in the Adelaide Hills region, expect a cold and frosty, but romantic, night ahead!
Whether traveling to South Australia by road (around 8 hours’ drive from Melbourne to Adelaide), rail, air, or bus, Adelaide and its surrounds, are easily accessible.
Once you have arrived, you can utilise the city’s public transport services – trams, buses and trains all operate regularly – or opt for a privately-owned driver service to accomodate you and your wedding party as required.
Given the extensive number of wine regions in the state, small tour operators and charter businesses are another readily available and fun group options for transportation of guests.
South Australia, and Adelaide in particular, has a vibrant social events calendar, which only adds to its already marvellous atmosphere.
It does pay to keep in mind if planning your wedding here, that while Adelaide truly comes alive with the arts (Adelaide Fringe!) around the month of March, accomodation and hospitality can become popular and less readily available for large bookings.
There is of course a strong army of AFL supporters taking to Adelaide Oval for regular football matches too, so be sure to check the fixtures, and other events worth noting are the world-famous Santos Down Under bike race (typically in January) and Clipsal 500.
Staying in South Australia is made easy, with beautiful hotels and boutique accomodation in central Adelaide or the city fringe, beautiful private abodes in seaside spots such as Glenelg or
Kangaroo Island, the Barossa, Flinders Ranges and Adelaide Hills are also home to some of the most luxurious accommodation in Australia.
From wineries – retreats, family-friendly caravans and cabins, Air BnBs, houseboats and more – you will find something to suit your needs – in any of the regions you desire.
Wondrous wineries, seaside luxury and easy urban elegance.
Here are our some of our top recommendations when it comes to the best wedding venues in South Australia.
Magic at Mt Lofty.
- From: Ceremonies from $1,000, Piccadilly room hire from $1,500 on weekdays and $3,000 on weekends, Coach House hire from $1,000 weekdays and $2,000 on weekends. Contact the venue for per head pricing information.
- Size of venue: Up to 200 guests.
- Indoor or outdoor: Indoor and outdoor options abound at Mt Lofty House, the glorious gardens are there for your use, with indoor spaces should weather require.
- Distance from Adelaide CBD: 15 minutes from Adelaide CBD.
Mount Lofty House is famous for its historical manor, beautiful grounds, impeccable service, luxurious interiors and, of course, the incredibly beautiful, breathtaking views over the Piccadilly Valley.
Mount Lofty House is one of South Australia’s most iconic wedding locations, with the historical estate boasting 30 acres of manicured gardens including old stone walls, two vineyards and neighbouring Mount Lofty Botanic Garden. The perfect location for your magical garden ceremony and a romantic backdrop for photos.
Wonderful wine country.
- From: Price on application.
- Size of venue: Sit-down functions can accommodate up to 190 guests and a cocktail-style function can accommodate up to 200 guests
- Indoor or outdoor: Outdoor ceremony options with indoor cocktail or seated dining spaces for the party to follow.
- Distance from Adelaide CBD: 48 minutes to Adelaide CBD.
Mitolo Wines is surrounded by picturesque vineyards and a peaceful creek, offering an idyllic countryside setting for your winery wedding just outside Adelaide. This McLaren Vale restaurant and winery has a long string of culinary awards to it’s name, so you can expect spectacular dining for your wedding reception.
Lush, uninterrupted views set overlooking a stunning natural creek and surrounding vineyards, propped with the Willunga hills as the perfect backdrop for your winery wedding, all make for endless photographic opportunities to capture your special day. But Mitolo is more than just a beautiful setting. You can expect an extraordinary culinary dining experience paired with premium wines – making the the ultimate luxury wedding experience come to life.
Prestige and picturesque in the Adelaide Hills.
- From: $202 per head, based on minimum guest number requirements
- Size of venue: Reception room (The Barn) can seat up to 200 or accomodate a cocktail party of 280
- Indoor or outdoor: Ceremonies generally held outdoors, with indoor options should weather conditions require
- Distance from Adelaide CBD: 44 minutes
Golding Wines is a family owned vineyard and winery, located on the outskirts of Lobethal in the picturesque Adelaide Hills.
With its beautifully crafted sandstone Barn, surrounded by manicured gardens, vineyards, ancient gum trees and rolling hills, a wedding at Golding Wines is a truly unforgettable experience. Offering beautiful spaces for your ceremony, photography and reception, delicious menus and award winning wines, look no further than Golding Wines for your dream wedding.
Grand and glamorous in Adelaide CBD.
- From: Saturdays in The Library room from $2000, up to The Conservatory, with a minimum Saturday spend of $14,500
- Size of venue: Various rooms, with spaces accomodating from 10, up to 174 guests
- Indoor or outdoor: Indoor venue – with use of The Ballroom or Conservatory
- Distance from Adelaide CBD: Located in Adelaide CBD
Dreaming of a glamorous country-house wedding in the city? Ayers House stately mansion is a boutique wedding venue in modern-vintage taste. Ayers House’s rich history in entertaining, combined with it’s beautiful vintage rooms and a passionate events team, all make for a unique city celebration, with creativity and glamour at the forefront.
- From: Courtyard events from $20,000 min spend and McLarens room from $35,000 min spend
- Size of venue: Courtyard up to 180 guests, McLarens room up to 250 guests
- Indoor or outdoor: Both indoor and outdoor options available
- Distance from Adelaide CBD: 40 minutes from Adelaide CBD
Serafino is a one of a kind winery wedding venue in the McLaren Vale region, with picturesque lakeside ceremony locations under the glorious, grand gum trees and amongst the properties romantic rose gardens. Serafino’s vast grounds are filled with photo opportunities, and the indoor reception spaces are able to cater for over 200 guests.
At Serafino, you’ll have the ultimate flexibility to design a wedding that suits you, and do so in style.
A Lot of love & Luxury.
- From: Contact the LOT. 100 team for pricing information.
- Size of venue: Up to 500 guests can be accommodated in the venue’s courtyard area.
- Indoor or outdoor: Both indoor and outdoor options available.
- Distance from Adelaide CBD: 40 minutes from Adelaide CBD.
Enveloped by its natural country backdrop, LOT. 100 has been transformed into a truly inimitable setting. Whether its their immaculate lawns and surrounding native flora, a cellar door experience or basking in the natural warmth of the venue and its 8-metre stone-set fireplace and sprawling outdoor deck – LOT. 100 is luxury – providing a modern twist to an otherwise agriculturally inspired experience.
Country, but make it contemporary.
- Size of venue: Up to 250 guests can be accommodated on site.
- Indoor or outdoor: Indoor and outdoor ceremony celebration options available.
- Distance from Adelaide CBD: 29 minutes to Adelaide CBD.
A stone’s throw from Adelaide but seemingly a world away, Maximilians offers elegance and warmth in contemporary ambience. Delight in the sweeping country views over the lawn and lake from the new function Pavilion – an extension of the original homestead surrounded by vineyards and enjoy ultimate regional fare for a quintessential Adelaide Hills wedding experience.
This venue includes flexible capacity for groups of all sizes, various on-site wedding ceremony areas and a professional events team. Complement your wedding reception with their new wines at the home of Saint & Scholar’s Cellar Door or a hit of golf on our unique floating green – Maximilian’s really offers it all.
Now that we’ve shared the beauty of South Australia, be sure to take a peek at the stunning real weddings that have been hosted here.