Getting married in Tasmania (TAS)
Tasmania may be small in size, but boy is she mighty and one of the most stunning and natural locations to be married.
The allure of Tasmania lays within its incredible landscapes – that in some cases are still untouched, rich history and diverse cultural experiences that will delight any visitor to the apple isle.
Nature lovers will love the mountain peaks, forests, serene lakes and waterfalls as well as some of the most beautiful beaches. While the foodies among us will be completely spoilt for choice when it comes to Tasmania’s incredible cuisine, some of the best Australia has on offer.
A wedding in Tasmania is the ultimate destination for those looking to get away and soak up the relaxed and romantic atmosphere.
The best part is, you’re never too far from your next stop as you navigate this small but superb state.
TASMANIA VENUES TO SUIT ANY WEDDING THEME
If a city wedding is more your style, then Hobart is a cosmopolitan location with culture, art and restaurants that will leave you wanting more. A short drive and you will find Richmond is not only rich in history but a whole lot of romance too. South of Hobart, Bruny Island is the perfect escape while the Huon Valley offers up cute and quirky locations. Hobart is also not too far from Lake St Clair if you’re looking for a wedding in the wilderness.
If you have ever been lucky enough to tour the east coast of Tasmania, you will know why they’re famous for their stunning, yet secluded beaches. Pristine white sands, breathtaking ocean views and small but friendly towns with exceptional service. The Bay of Fires, Freycinet and Bicheno are perfect places to plan your nuptials in luxury and style.
The wild and rugged west coast will have you feeling like you’ve been transported to another world with its rugged mountains and ancient rain forests, while the north west is home to Cradle Mountain, one of Tasmania’s most iconic locations, offering adventure and possibly the best location for an elegant elopement with some of the best scenery in the world.
Let’s not forget Launceston and its luscious surrounds. An idyllic setting for those interested in nature, country lanes, green fields and vibrant hub of the city that has so much charm.
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN LOOKING AT TASMANIAN WEDDING VENUES
Tasmania, being the southern-most state of Australia, does have a cooler climate but four distinct seasons. With typically mild and rainy winters and cooler summers, there’s still the possibility that Tasmania can turn on a heat wave over the November – February period.
It’s good to be prepared when venturing to Tasmania and you should be prepared for quick changes in temperature – so layer up and prepare for Plan B where possible.
To get to Tasmania you either need to fly into Hobart or Launceston, or take the Spirit of Tasmania from Melbourne, an adventure in itself.
The allure of Tasmania is self-driving where you can take in the sights and scenic views along the way, stopping when and where you want to soak up your surrounds.
It’s important to note there are no train services in Tasmania, so if you don’t have a car, you must rely on bus travel.
Factor into your plans how your guests will transport themselves to and from your wedding and whether this is something you will provide.
Tasmania, in particular Hobart, has a busy social calendar, which all adds to the appeal of this state.
In Hobart it pays to keep in mind bigger events such as Dark Mofo or The Taste Tasmania festival, which may make for a busier time in the city, so booking accommodation early is key. Launceston in summer also plays host to the MONA FOMA festival, so keep an eye on this one too.
Plan in advance and keep an eye on the Tasmania social event calendar to factor this into your decision making.
Tasmania is rich in accommodation options across the state. Make use of Air BnBs, campgrounds, luxury hotels or homes. There is an accommodation option to suit any style or budget.
Here are our recommendations when it comes to the best wedding venues in stunning Tasmania.
Cradle Mountain magic.
- From: No minimum spend
- Capacity: From small elopements for two people up to 140 guests
- Indoor or outdoor: There are few options for outdoor locations around the National Park and indoor options are dependent numbers. Peppers ensure tailored options to suit the group and the weather.
Create mountain-side magic at iconic Cradle mountain. With backdrops that will take your breath away when it comes to sealing the deal in a sweet ceremony, to the beautiful Peppers Cradle Mountain Lodge that can host your romantic receptions as well as accommodate your guests, this venue has it all. A dream like hideaway set to create a once in a lifetime moment.
In a forest, on a hill, there’s a shed.
- From: $9,000 minimum spend for three days hire.
- Capacity: 150 seated guests or 200 cocktail style.
- Indoor or outdoor: A stunning and permanent air chapel set amongst the Tasmanian bush is an idyllic location but you also can choose to be wed anywhere on the 500-acre estate. Should bad weather arise, the shed can act as a plan B for a ceremony.
Sandridge Estate is a one-of-a-kind venue that makes wedding planning, fun, easy and completely unique to you. They have an incredible shed for you to party the night away, complete with custom-made Tasmanian Oak tables, a collection of mis-matched vintage chairs and 400 metres of lighting to add some sparkle to your celebration. Sandridge Estate go that extra mile to make your day a dream, so they offer BYO, three day hire and there an eco-village of eight luxurious tents to glamp in. Get in quickly as this venue sure is popular.
- From: $10,000 minimum spend for an evening wedding.
- Capacity: 80 seated guests or 120 cocktail style.
- Indoor or outdoor: Your outdoor ceremony can take place in the vineyard, on their lush lawns or the adjacent paddock, alternatively their tasting room is the perfect back-up plan.
Perched on a hillside, surrounded by grapevines and overlooking picturesque Norfolk Bay, there’s something so special about Bangor Shed. A unique all-in-one venue, your special day just flows, from your ceremony in the vineyard, to photographs and pre-dinner drinks in their spacious grounds, before heading inside our beautiful, rustic, Vineyard Shed for your reception. Their food is sublime, the service exceptional and best of all it becomes a relaxed, unique experience, completely tailored to you.
History meets contemporary
- From: $6,325 for ceremony and reception (venue only) $5,700 for reception (venue only) and $2,350 for elopements.
- Capacity: 120 seated guests for barn weddings, but a marquee can be added to increase guest numbers if required.
- Indoor or outdoor: Both, reception and or ceremony can take place in the stone barn, or there are ceremony options at various locations around the property (outdoors).
There are so many reasons Wateron Hall is the perfect place to be hitched, so we will name a few. This venue is so unique and historic in nature, providing the perfect backdrop for your celebration and photographs. From their sweeping vineyard, lush lawns, restored stone barn, gorgeous gardens, or views of the water – everywhere you turn there is jaw-dropping beauty to be found. On top of that they produce delicious and award-winning wines that are all part of their event packages.
Secluded coastal sanctuary
- From: The whole retreat must be hired for a minimum of two days (or three in peak season), the rate for the accommodation starts at $14,095 per night and the reception food cost is $135 per person.
- Capacity: 40 guests for a restaurant reception.
- Indoor or outdoor: Use the amphitheatre with the ocean back drop for the ceremony.
Wedding venues don’t get much better than Piermont, nestled in an unspoilt bay in remote east coast of Tasmania. This magnificent sanctuary is perfect for those who wish to get away and wed in relaxed and romantic style. The Homestead Restaurant invites you and your guests to taste authentic dishes crafted with the freshest local produce in a casually elegant setting beside the bay. Be it an intimate elopement where you can enjoy the luxe onsite accommodation, or a small intimate celebration of your love, Piermont excel in bringing dream weddings to life.
Greenest pastures, most glorious events
- From: Off-peak evening venue hire from $2,000 and full day hire starting from $6,000.
- Capacity: The Apple Shed cater from 20 people up to 200 people for a cocktail-style event or up to 140 people for a seated dining experience.
- Indoor or outdoor: Indoor and outdoor ceremony options, with glorious reception celebrations taking place inside.
Surrounded by green pastures and old picker’s huts, with Sleeping Beauty providing a magnificent backdrop, it’s hard to believe you’re just 25 minutes south of Hobart as you land upon Willie Smith’s Apple Shed. With multiple gorgeous ceremony locations – the sprawling lawns or the romantic and rustic museum space, your party then makes its way into the Apple Shed itself. This beautifully-aged building is the perfect place to dance the night away and feast on local Tasmanian fare.
Unrivalled location for an intimate affair
- From: Off-peak evening venue hire from $2,000 and full day hire starting from $6,000.
- Capacity: Pumhouse Point can accommodate 38 guests only (19 rooms). This is the maximum number of people allowed on the property to preserve its incredible tranquility..
- Indoor or outdoor: Indoor and outdoor ceremony options, all with breathtaking views.
There’s something so magical about Pumphouse Point overlooking Lake St Clair. This retreat is poised mysteriously on a glacial lake and surrounded by century-old myrtle forests. A more tranquil place to be wed is hard to find. For those of you looking to be married in a celebration that is unique and intimate, then Pumphouse Point is the perfect location. Hire the property for exclusive use for a micro-wedding or be swept up in the romance of an elegant elopement. With a passionate team that can help you every step of the way, Pumphouse Point is a must-see.
Now that we’ve shared the beauty of Tasmania, be sure to take a peek at the stunning real weddings that have been hosted here.