Melbourne – Wedding Venues
Melbourne certainly tugs on the heartstrings of any visitor and it could hold an even more special place in your heart if you choose this incredibly city as the place to get hitched!
Moody, yet vibrant, Melbourne is cool, edgy and offers an abundance of amazing choice when it comes to hosting the the celebration of a lifetime.
A Melbourne venue to suit any wedding theme
From the bustling urban lane-ways, to a twinkling city skyline, or beautiful views of Port Phillip Bay, there is a Melbourne wedding venue to suit every style and theme.
With numerous city venues to host the day of your dreams, couples flock to magical Melbourne and its creative and classic backdrops, and it is easy to see why.
For garden glamour, its hard to look past the array of pristine public parks available, not to mention a stunning selection of traditional churches and Chapels.
From rooftops, to industrial warehouses, and elegant eateries-turned-reception spaces, there’s sure to be something that fits your needs in this metropolitan mecca.
Things to consider when looking at Melbourne wedding venues
There’s no doubt about it, no matter the size of your guest list or budget, a Melbourne wedding has plenty of appeal. Though, as with every wedding location, with a city soiree, there are some extra considerations to take note of when planning.
Four seasons in one day – that’s Melbourne for you! No matter the time of year, it always pays to be prepared just in case Mother Nature decides to wreak havoc. When considering an outdoor ceremony, an undercover Plan B, is a must. Even the warmest of days can turn wild and windy in our fair city, so be prepared to brave all the elements, just in case.
While part of the Melbourne appeal is its fantastic atmosphere and endearing hustle and bustle, it pays to make mention that with every city, too comes the potential of traffic. Reminding your guests to leave ample time for road closures or reduced speed limits, as well as parking parameters of your chosen location, is a wise move.
Thankfully, the public transport system within the city areas can seamlessly accommodate your guests – pre-plan by suggesting relevant train stations and tram routes to ensure your guests avoid running late, or worse, missing out!
Consider also providing handy maps or parking instructions when sending out your invitations – your guests will thank you for it!
Spare a thought for whether there are any key events happening in and around town, that may impact your planning. From sporting games, to concerts and shows, there is always something exciting happening in the city and they may impact the availability of accommodation or have a flow on effect on parking. Check out the Melbourne Events calendar to be sure.
Here is where you are spoilt for choice when you choose to wed in magical Melbourne town. From five-star hotels, to budget motels and Air BnB options by the bucketload – you and your guests won’t be left in the cold when it comes to seeking shelter for the evening.
Metropolitan magic and some true CBD stunners
Here are our recommendations when it comes to the best wedding venues in magical Melbourne.
Spoilt for choice at Abbotsford Convent
- From: $9,000 – $21,000 minimum spend.
- Size of venue: 280 guests without dance floor, 250 with dance floor or 500 guests for a cocktail function.
- Indoor or outdoor: From picturesque heritage gardens and onsite Chapel to open-air courtyard. The Abbotsford Convent by Bursaria offers stunning indoor locations with an abundance of green open space.
- Distance from Melbourne: 4kms from Melbourne CBD.
Nestled in a sweeping bend of the Yarra River and only 4kms from the city, the Abbotsford Convent is the perfect wedding and events venue.
There are three stunning ceremony locations located within the precinct including The Good Shepherd Chapel, the Heritage Gardens, an old oak tree (over 100 years old) located within walking distance, and with numerous photo locations both on the grounds and just around the corner, in busy and bustling urban Abbotsford – you’re spoilt for choice when you wed at Abbotsford Convent.
Loft Love at Panama Dining Room
- From: No room hire fee, and prices vary according to months, with the range as follows:
Monday – Thursday: $12,000 to $18,000Friday – $20,000 to $25,000Saturday – $25,000 to $30,000Sunday – $14,000 to $20,000
- Size of venue: 160 guests seated and 200 cocktail, with each option allowing ample dance floor space as required.
- Indoor or outdoor: Panama Dining room is an indoor-only venue. Ceremonies are held in front of the beautiful arch windows, located inside the main venue space.
- Distance from Melbourne: 2.9kms to Melbourne CBD
Panama Dining room marries eclectic design with modern elegance, offering a gorgeous warehouse space for couples to wed.
This iconic Melbourne venue boasts gorgeous floor-to-ceiling arch windows that provide an amazing backdrop to your event, with sweeping views of the Dandenong Ranges and Melbourne’s CBD and a 1AM liquor license!
Grand George – a timeless ballroom beauty
- From: $120 ex GST per head.
- Size of venue: 150 guests seated or 200 guests cocktail.
- Indoor or outdoor: Stunning indoor ceremonies take place in the grand ballroom.
- Distance from Melbourne: 7.3kms to Melbourne CBD.
Set in the heart of St Kilda, The George Ballroom is like no other venue you have seen. This stunning space embodies romance at its finest and is a glorious backdrop for your day.
The George Ballroom is the perfect event space for a wedding celebration and is operated exclusively by leading event and catering company Damm Fine Food, who offer a wide range of innovative menus, drink packages and styling solutions to suit any event.
Steeped in history and from the classic Victorian era with Corinthian wall pilasters, stain glass windows and brass and etched glass gasoliers, The George Ballroom excels in delivering stylish celebrations each time.
Radiant Rupert, a Collingwood delight
- From: POA – minimum spend $25,000 for a Saturday evening and $15,000 for a Sunday afternoon/evening, with the venue hire ($3,500) and all food and beverages contributing.
- Size of venue: up to 80 guests in the Main Dining Hall, 50 in the Conservatory, or 200 for a cocktail-style function.
- Indoor or outdoor: Whilst the venues beautiful plant and tree filled Conservatory space is often confused with an outdoor space, as it has a transparent ceiling, and is full of lush green growing things, it is in fact part of the rest of the venue.
- Distance from Melbourne: 3kms to Melbourne CBD.
Contemporary, industrial, and quintessentially Collingwood, Rupert on Rupert is a glorious Melbourne wedding destination. Whether it be for a sit down dinner or a stand up event for 150, their beautiful and spacious dining hall offers the perfect backdrop for your party, with creative and flexible dining options that can be tailored to your needs. The food at Rupert is designed to be shared, and their vibrant team loves to come to the party, especially a wedding.
Seriously cool at The Substation.
- From: POA – full venue hire starts from $4950.
- Size of venue: from 80 to 350 guests.
- Indoor or outdoor: Indoor
- Distance from Melbourne: 12.6kms to Melbourne CBD.
The SUBSTATION is housed in the historic Newport substation, located in the heart of Newport village in the inner west of Melbourne.
This is an exciting and creative space that lends itself to endless wedding opportunities, with full day building hire, a bridal suite and indoor ceremony options aplenty.
If you’re seeking an industrial stunner, that will allow you to style to your hearts content – check it out.
Luxury reigns at Luminare
- From: Minimum spends vary throughout the year, please speak to one of the friendly Sales Manager who will be able to guide you on these. A $3,500 venue hire fee applies.
- Size of venue: 100- 250 guests for a seated dinner with a dance floor, or 100 – 500 guests for a cocktail party with a dance floor.
- Indoor or outdoor: Both options available. The venues Sky Deck, overlooking Port Phillip Bay is the perfect setting for your wedding ceremony, with a venue hire of $1,500. Outdoor seating and market umbrellas are provided for your comfort and additional extras available for hire.
- Distance from Melbourne: 3.5kms to Melbourne CBD.
Luminare, a contemporary loft is one of the most exciting and impressive rooftop venues on the fringe of Melbourne’s city, offering expansive views of the city skyline.
Managed exclusively by The Big Group and located in the heart of South Melbourne, Luminare offers a unique event experience full of fantastic food, fabulous staff and brilliant views.
For a touch of classic elegance and glorious views, it’s hard to go past Luminare.
Exquisite events at Alto
- From: Minimum spends are dependant on the time of year, an Alto event manager will be able to discuss pricing upon enquiry.
- Size of venue: Alto has a private terrace perfect for pre dinner drinks and has the capacity for 150 guests seated or 400 guests cocktail style
- Indoor or outdoor: Alto can host a ceremony and reception for guest numbers of 120 and under. There is the gorgeous private terrace or the ceremony can also be hosted inside the venue.
- Distance from Melbourne: Located in Melbourne CBD.
Alto is located on the third floor of the GPO building and has floor to ceiling windows with sweeping city views. Furnished with a six metre mirrored bar and three giant chandeliers that illuminate the entire space, along with exposed ceilings, concrete floors and steel girders, matched with stylish, contemporary furniture.
- From: $140 per person, or from $130 pp throughout Winter months.
- Size of venue: ceremonies for up to 160 guests and reception space accommodating up to 250.
- Indoor or outdoor: Should Melbourne’s crazy weather come out to play, SYC can provide a private area inside the reception room as a wet weather option.
- Distance from Melbourne: 17kms to Melbourne CBD.
Overlooking Port Phillip Bay, Sandringham Yacht Club is set in one of Melbourne’s most breathtaking locations. The stunning floor-to-ceiling windows and expansive balcony provide the perfect backdrop for your celebration.
When it comes to making the most of the irresistible vistas over the glorious Port Phillip Bay, nothing delivers quite like Sandringham Yacht Club.
Stunning city views with Metropolis
- From: POA
- Size of venue: Maximum of 320 capacity
- Indoor or outdoor: Onsite ceremonies can be held for up to 200guests in the stylish and elegant Aviary Room.
- Distance from Melbourne: Located in Melbourne CBD
Metropolis Events provides the perfect backdrop and venue for the most memorable wedding. Boasting 9 metre high floor to ceiling windows, there’s no better view of the Melbourne city skyline as you say your ‘I do’s’. This New York loft style venue is sure to impress you and your guests as you take in the views and incredible location. Exuding luxury and sophistication from the moment your guests arrive, Metropolis Events goes that extra mile to ensure your wedding is a day to remember.
Half Acre and full perfection
- From: Minimum spends vary across the time of year and day of the week, always best to contact the team to source the minimum spend for your preferred date
- Size of venue: 220 guests seated and 400 guests cocktail style.
- Indoor or outdoor: There are two stunning indoor ceremony options, either with the red brick original wall of Half Acre, or in front of the arch windows looking out to the landscaped courtyard
- Distance from Melbourne: 3.4kms to Melbourne CBD.
Half Acre is perfect for those that are after an event space that offers a touch of warmth with just enough grandeur. Timber feature wall, high ceilings and an open floor plan means this space is versatile and easily adaptable.
Half Acre is a former millinery, steeped in history and continuing to pay homage to its former self with original features, making it a gorgeous place to gather with your loved one and offering photo opportunities aplenty.
Interested in having your venue featured on Ivory Tribe’s favourite wedding venues in Victoria? Shoot an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch!